Halloween is almost here! Enjoy a night filled with fun, awesome costumes, and treats while following these important Halloween safety tips!
- Do not trick-or-treat alone. Go with an adult or a group to ensure a safe experience.
- Look both ways twice before crossing the street – and keep looking as you cross.
- If your kids are trick-or-treating on their own, educate them on how to walk safely and to be aware.
- Inspect all treats for tampering and choking hazards before eating them – avoid homemade treats.
- Make sure to walk from house to house – don’t run.
- Using a flashlight or reflective tape will help drivers see you – and the flashlight will help you see others.
- Only visit homes that are well-lit.
- Stay on sidewalks. If there isn’t a sidewalk, walk as far away from traffic as possible, facing traffic.
- Make sure costumes are the right size and fit correctly to avoid trips and falls.
- Drive slowly and cautiously.
- Be extra alert in residential areas.
- Avoid distracted driving by eliminating any distractions inside your car.
- Turn your headlights on earlier than normal so you can spot children from a further distance.
- The most popular times for trick-or-treating are 5pm to 10pm, so be particularly attentive during these hours.
Now that you have a guide for a safe Halloween, go get your spook on!