Fun Spring Activities in Michigan!
We’re making our way into April, and although the weather hasn’t been the warmest, there are still plenty of fun activities to do this spring in the Metro Detroit area! We’ve compiled a list of some of the outdoorsy activities and interesting events happening near you, directly from the Pure Michigan website.
April 14, 2018
- Down on the Farm in Downtown Detroit: Upland Hills Farms at Outdoor Adventure Center – Detroit, MI – Website
- The OAC archery range will be transformed into a barn and you will be able to get up close and friendly to cows, pigs, chickens, and more!
- Second Saturdays for Families: Insect-Repellent Bracelets at Michigan History Museum – Lansing, MI – Website
- Do you enjoy spending as much time as possible outdoors during the spring and summer? Then you know that insects that bite can get in the way of a good time! Get ready for them by using simple knot-tying skills to create an insect-repellent bracelet from cord and essential oils.
April 15th, 2018
- Help Our Pollinators at Outdoor Adventure Center – Detroit, MI – Website
- Come learn about the different pollinators that help sustain the lush and beautiful plant life in Michigan as well as how to better assist pollinators by becoming a smart gardener!
- Mutts Gone Nuts at Heinz C. Prechter Educational & Performing Arts Center – Taylor, MI – Website
- Scott and Joan Houghton and their hilarious pack of pooches have created a comedy dog thrill show like no other. Expect the unexpected in this top-notch presentation that includes incredible high flying frisbee dogs, tight wire dogs, dancing dogs, magic dogs, and of course, the one and only . . . Sammie the Talking Dog! Tickets are available for purchase at the website above.
April 21st, 2018
- Experience Earth Day at Chippewa Nature Center – Midland, MI – Website
- Come celebrate the 48th Earth Day by participating in stewardship activities that benefit our planet! Plant a tree or shrub, learn about invasive exotic plants, plant wildflower seeds to take home, drop off your recyclable items, and more!
- Ypsilanti Comic Con at St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church – Ypsilanti, MI – Website
- Ypsilanti Comic Con will be back this spring! Attendees will have the opportunity to explore over 25 tables of comic books, action figures, toys, original art and more!
April 22nd, 2018
- Earth Day Composting 101 at Outdoor Adventure Center – Detroit, MI – Website
- Learn all about composting and how to reduce the amount of waste headed to the landfill while adding nutrients to your yard and garden! OAC will provide you with the information you need, and will even send you home with a small amount of starter to get your compost going – just bring an empty pop bottle or water bottle to the program!
- Earth Day Adopt-a-Beach Cleanup Event at Outdoor Adventure Center – Detroit, MI – Website
- Volunteer with the Outdoor Adventure Center as they lead an Adopt-a-Beach cleanup event along the Detroit River in Milliken State Park. Volunteers will not only prevent trash from entering the Great Lakes, but will participate in a citizen science data collection effort to categorize the type of litter collected. The data will be shared with beach managers and scientists so solutions to pollution problems can be developed.
April 25th, 2018
- Wild Over Wednesday: Wild for Wetlands at Outdoor Adventure Center – Detroit, MI – Website
- Spring has sprung, and wetlands around our beautiful state are teeming with wildlife getting ready for the nesting season. There will be games and activities focused on the importance of wetlands for wildlife and for people, and information will be provided about local wetlands that you can visit this spring and summer.
April 28th, 2018
- Pitch Hit & Run at Montibeller Park – Ypsilanti, MI – Website
- Participants compete in either the Baseball Division or Softball Division and have the opportunity to advance through four levels of competition including Locals, Sectionals, Team Championships, and the National Finals during MLB All-Star Week.
- Arbor Day Celebration at Outdoor Adventure Center – Detroit, MI – Website
- Celebrate the 146th National Arbor Day with the Outdoor Adventure Center! Engage with others as you learn how to choose and plant trees that are native and helpful to our Michigan ecosystems. Take a hike with the OAC at 1 p.m. to identify trees in Milliken State Park. The first 50 participants will receive a seedling to take home and plant!
- Photo Workshop at Outdoor Adventure Center – Detroit, MI – Website
- Have you ever wanted to discover the world of wildlife photography but just didn’t know where to begin? Join the OAC as they dive into a day of discovery with professional wildlife photographer Norm Rutkowske to learn the philosophy behind wildlife photography. Event guests will get the chance to enjoy wildlife photography first-hand and partake in a photoshoot of the Outdoor Adventure Center black rat snake in Milliken State Park.
April 29th, 2018
- Michigan Birds of Prey at Outdoor Adventure Center – Detroit, MI – Website
- Join Michigan Avian Experience to meet some of Michigan’s live birds of prey, which may include a hawk, eagle, owl and/or falcon, to reveal their remarkable survival adaptations and behaviors. Visitors will have the opportunity to feel feathers and explore skulls and other bird parts like feet and bones.
May 5th, 2018
- Highland Recreation Area Volunteer Stewardship Workday – White Lake, MI – Website
- Join volunteer stewards Bill B. and Kathy W. in pulling non-native, invasive garlic mustard from high quality woodlands. Come see first-hand how this plant starts to get a foothold if we don’t take action to stop it! Volunteers are asked to register ahead of time at the website link above.
- How to Write Calligraphy at River Raisin National Battlefield Park – Monroe, MI – Website
- Learn how to write calligraphy at the River Raisin National Battlefield Park! RSVPs are requested; please call the Visitor Center to reserve your spot.
May 6th, 2018
- Passport 2 Pittsfield at Pittsfield Charter Township Hall – Ann Arbor, MI – Website
- Everyone is invited to park at one of six Township facilities and hop onto an AAATA bus to visit the other buildings and participate in family friendly activities. The event is a day for fun, discovery, and creation!
May 10th, 2018
- Frankenmuth Funtown Chowdown Food Truck Festival at Frankenmuth River Place – Frankenmuth, MI – Website
- It’s time for the Funtown Chowdown, Frankenmuth’s 2nd Annual Food Truck Festival at Frankenmuth River Place Shops! The fun begins in May and will take place on the second Thursday of each month from 5pm-9pm each date – that’s five chances to treat yourself and your family to excellent food, beer, and family fun!
May 12th, 2018
- Mother & Daughter Tea at River Raisin National Battlefield Park – Monroe, MI – Website
- Sit back and sip on fresh brewed tea and eat sweet goodies as you honor Mother’s Day! Seats are limited; please call the Visitor Center to reserve your spot.
- The Spirit of Detroit 60th Anniversary Celebration at Spirit Plaza – Detroit, MI – Website
- This is an event to support Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum, a non-profit organization whose mission is to celebrate the artistic legacy of Marshall Fredericks. Through his collection and archives, temporary exhibitions, publications, and education programs, the Museum contributes to scholarly discourse and serves diverse audiences. Please visit the website for more details and to purchase tickets.
May 20, 2018
- Stephen 70th Annual Spring Polish Festival at St. Stephen Parish Grounds – New Boston, MI – Website
- Join parishioners as they celebrate their Polish heritage! Band, dancing, dinners, bingo, craft show, carnival rides, kids’ game tent, white elephant tent, men’s softball tournament, and 50/50 & basket raffles all weekend long!
- Eastern Market Flower Day at Eastern Market – Detroit, MI – Website
- This event is an all-day affair showcasing every variety of perennial, annual, and seasonal bud ever grown and is the market’s busiest weekend of the year. People from all over the state and region flock to Eastern Market for this annual ushering in of spring, when 15 acres of space is covered with every possible variety of flowers, trees, and shrubs!
May 29th, 2018
- Lansing Lugnuts: Game of Thrones Night at Cooley Law School Stadium – Lansing, MI – Website
- Baseball is coming to Cooley Law School Stadium on May 19th, 2018! Join fellow fans in celebrating Game of Thrones Night. Sit on the throne; enjoy wine tastings, food specials, and more! The first 1,000 fans get a custom Noah Syndergaard Game of Thrones bobblehead! Please visit the website for more details and to purchase tickets.
For more events taking place in Michigan this spring, visit the event calendar on the Pure Michigan website here!